Chapter 5 Review Name ________________________________________
Answer the following questions on page 177
11. Identify the reactants and products in each of the following chemical reactions.
a. 2AgNO3+H2SO4 ® Ag2SO4+2HNO3
b.Fe2O3+2Al ® 2Fe+Al2O3
12. Contrast endothermic and exothermic reactions.
13. Balance the following equations:
a. ___ NaCl+___ H2SO4 ® ___ Na2SO4+___ HCl
b. ___ Al+___ CuSO4 ® ___ Al2(SO4)3+___ Cu
c. ___ Fe+___ O2 ® ___ Fe2O3
d. ___ Fe(OH)3 ® ___ Fe2O3+___ H2O
e. ___ N2O5+___ H2O ® ___ HNO3
14. State Le Chatelier’s principle.
15. Describe two ways you could make table salt dissolve faster in water.
16. Predict the shift of equilibrium for each of the following conditions in the following reaction involving gaseous reactants and products:
N2+3H2 ® 2NH3+heat
a. NH3 is added to the reaction.
b. NH3 is removed from the reaction.
c. The pressure is increased.
d. The temperature is decreased.
Predict how each of the following changes will affect the following reaction involving gaseous reactants and products:
2NO2 ® N2O4+heat
a. raising the temperature
b. increasing the pressure
c. removing N2O4 from the equilibrium mixture
d. adding NO2 to the equilibrium mixture
17. Foods kept in a refrigerator stay fresh longer than foods left out on the counter. Explain why this is true.
18. Aluminum sulfate, Al2(SO4)3 , is used to fireproof fabrics and to make antiperspirants. It can be formed from the reaction between Al2O3 and H2SO4
Al2O3 + 3H2SO4 ® Al2(SO4)3 +3 H2O
a. How many moles of Al2(SO4)3 would be produced if 6 mol of H2SO4 reacted with Al2O3?
b. How many mole of Al2O3 are required to make 9 mol of H2O?
c. If 588 mol of Al2O3 reacts with H2SO4 how many moles of each product will be made?
19. Concept Mapping Complete the concept map below by writing the correct word or phrase in the lettered boxes.