Reading Questions 14.1 Name
Magnets and Magnetic Fields pp. 461-467
- List the objectives of this section.
- What does the magnet do in the alarm switch?
- Where did magnets get their name?
- How do you change a nail into a permanent magnet?
- Why is the term permanent magnet misleading?
- How is a soft magnetic material different from a hard
- What happens to the nails when you stick a magnet
into a pile of nails?
- What limits how long the chain of nails can be?
- What are magnetic poles?
- What happens when like poles are brought together?
- What happens when unlike poles are
- What happens to the poles if you cut a magnet in
- What does the vocabulary tip tell you about how pole
is used in physics?
- What three forces act at a distance?
- What is a magnetic field?
- What are
magnetic field lines?
- How do you use magnetic field lines to indicate that
a field is stronger?
- Which way does a compass point compared to field
- Where are the Earth’s two magnetic poles?
- What do researchers think causes the earth’s magnetic
- What type of magnetic pole is found in Antarctica?