Peas and Rice Lab††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Name ____________________________________
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Partnersí Name ____________________________
††††††††††† The triple beam balance is not sensitive enough to weigh an individual pea or an individual grain of rice, just like it could not weigh an individual atom. We will measured a group of rice and a group of peas and use this to calculate.† We are going to call our group a heap, and one heap is 37 pieces
Remember you donít put chemicals directly on the balance so you will need to weigh an empty container first. Remember to estimate to the second decimal place on the balance. After you have recorded the data, describe how you went about answering the other questions. Show your work and include the units.
Mass of empty container ________________
Mass of container and 37 grains of rice †________________ this is one heap of rice
Mass of container and 37 peas ________________ this is one heap of beans
Describe how you came up with the answers to the following questions. When doing the math, show your work and include the units.
1. How much does one heap of rice weigh?
2. How much does one heap peas weigh?
Use conversion factors for the following problems
3. How much does 1000 grains of rice weigh?
4. How much does one mole of rice weigh?
5. If you had a jar that weighed 54 g when empty and 814 g when full of rice, how many grains of rice would it hold?
6. How much does one million peas weigh?
7. How much does one mole of peas weigh
8. The same jar in number 5 weighs 762 g hen filled with peas. How many peas does it hold?