Chapter 5 Reading Guide††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Name
Answer the following
questions on a separate sheet of paper. Use complete sentences where
- What is the model of the atom so far in this
- What couldnít this model explain about metals?
- What couldnít Rutherfordís
- Why is there a picture of a horseshoe?
- How is Bohrís model different from Rutherfordís
- What is an energy level?
- How is an energy level like a ladder?
- What is a quantum?
- Why arenít the ladders the same in Figure 5.3?
- Why did the model of the atom have to change?
- What is the quantum mechanical model?
- How is the quantum mechanical model different?
- How is it like a propeller?
- What two things does solving SchŲdingerís
equation give you?
- What are energy sublevels?
- What are the shapes of the
- s orbitals?
- p orbitals
- d orbitals
- How can you find the maximum number of electrons
in an energy level?
- Which direction does energy change?
- What is the aufbau
- Where do the energy levels overlap?
- What is the Pauli exclusion
- What is electron spin?
- What is Hundís rule?
- In the shorthand method how do you indicate
- Energy level
- Energy sublevel
- Number of electrons in that sublevel
- Why does the order differ?
- Why do some elements have filling orders
different from the aufbau diagram?
- Where did the quantum mechanical model come from?
- By 1900 what did scientists think that light was?
- What is amplitude?
- What is wavelength and
- What is frequency and
- How are frequency and wavelength related? In
words and as a mathematical equation.
- What is electromagnetic radiation?
- What is a spectrum?
- How is the spectrum of white
light different from helium?
- When do atoms emit energy?
- What is an atomic emission spectrum?
- What is each line in a spectrum?
- How is a spectrum like a fingerprint?
- What did Bohrís model explain?
- How are energy and frequency related?
- Where didnít Bohrís model work?
- How does the quantum mechanical model explain the
motion of material objects?
- What are quanta?
- What are photons?
- How was DeBroglie
mathematical expression tested?
- What objects have wavelike nature?
- Why donít we see this wavelike nature?
- How are classical and quantum mechanics
- What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?
- What paved the way for SchrŲdingers
description of the atom?