Chapter 9 Review Name ____________________________________
1. A chemistry student prepared a series of compounds containing only sulfur and fluorine. The following table shows the amount of each element in each compound.
Mass of sulfur (g)
Mass of fluorine (g)
a. Calculate the mass of fluorine per gram of sulfur in each compound. (g S/g F)
b. Divide the results in a. by each other. Do the numbers in part a. support the law of multiple proportions (ratio of ratios)?
2. Name the following compounds and tell what type of compound they are (ionic. or molecular).
a Mg+2 b. Ca+2
c. Br-1 d. Ag+1
____ 12. Law of definite proportions
____ 13. molecular formula
____ 14. cation
____ 15. ternary compound
____ 16. chemical formula
____ 17. metalloid
____ 18. Law of multiple proportions
____19. polyatomic ion
____ 20. transition metal
____ 21. binary compound
a. shows the number and kinds of atoms present in a molecule of a compound
b. tightly bound groups of atoms that behave as a unit and carry a charge
c. when two elements form more than one compound, the masses of one element that combine with the same mass of the other element are in the ratio of small, whole numbers
d. a compound composed of two different elements
e. Group B elements
f. any atom or group of atoms with a positive charge
g. a compound composed of three different elements
h. in any chemical compound, the elements are always combined in the same proportion by mass
i. elements with the properties of both metals and nonmetals
j. shows the kinds and numbers of atoms in the smallest representative unit of the substance.
22. The ionic charge of tantalum, Ta, in the compound Ta2S5 is __22__
23. The ionic charge of an element in Group 0 is __23__
24. The Group A elements in the periodic table are known as the __24__elements.
25. In a polyatomic ion the -ite ending indicates one less __25__ atom than the ate ending.
26. Atoms that have a positive or negative charge are called __26__
27. The name of a monatomic anion ends in __27__
28. __28__is the systematic name for water.
29. Binary molecular compounds are composed of two __29__ elements.
30. Acids are compounds that give off __30__ ions when dissolved in water.
b. KCl __________________________ f. NCl3 __________________________
c. CoSO4__________________________ g- Ga2O3 __________________________
d. Na3N__________________________ h. H3PO4 __________________________
e. HNO2 __________________________ k. Na3PO4__________________________
f. CaS __________________________ l. N2O3 __________________________
32. Write formulas for the following
a. potassium sulfide __________________ f. hydrobromic acid _________
b. tin (IV) chloride ___________________ g. aluminum fluoride _________
c. dihydrogen monosulfide _____________ h. dinitrogen pentoxide _________
d. calcium oxide _____________________ i. iron (III)carbonate _________
e. iron (III) sulfide ___________________ j. copper (II) hydroxide _________
k. sodium chlorate ___________________ l. lead(II) phosphate ____________
m. magnesium hydrogen carbonate _____________