Chapter 9 Practice #2 Name ____________________________________
1. Identify the number and kinds of atoms present in a molecule of each compound.
a. Citric acid, C6H8O7
b. Chloroform, CHCl3
c. Glycine, C2H5NO2
d. Sulfur hexafluoride, SF6
2. What is the charge on the ion typically formed by each element?
e. Nickel, 2 electrons lost
3. How many electrons does the neutral atom gain or lose when each ion forms?
4. Name each ion. Identify each as a cation or anion.
5. Write the formulas for these binary ionic compounds.
a. Magnesium oxide
b. Tin (II) fluoride
c. Potassium iodine
d. Aluminum chloride
e. Sodium sulfate
f. Iron (III) bromide
6. Write the formulas for the compounds formed from these pairs of ions.
a. Ba2+ , Cl-
b. Ag+ ,I-
c. Ca2+, S2-
d. K+ , Br-
e. Al 3+, O2-
f. Fe2+ , O2-
7. Write formulas for compounds formed from these pairs of ions.
a. NH4+, SO42-
b. K+, NO3-
c. Barium ion and hydroxide ion
d. Lithium ion and carbonate ion
8. Name the following binary ionic compounds.
9. Write formulas for the following ternary ionic compounds.
a. sodium phosphate
b. magnesium sulfate
c. sodium hydroxide
d. potassium cyanide
e. ammonium chloride
f. potassium dichromate
10. Name the following compounds.
11. Name the following molecular compounds.
12. Write the formulas for the following binary molecular compounds.
a. nitrogen tribromide
b. dichlorine monoxide
c. sulfur dioxide
d. dinitrogen tetrafluoride
13. Give the name or formula of these common acids.
c. Acetic acid
d. Sulfuric acid
14. What about the name sulfur dioxide tells you that it is a molecular compound?
15. What about the name potassium chloride tells you that it is an ionic compound?
16. What about the name sulfuric acid tells you that it is an acid?
17. What about the formula Fe2O3 tells you that it is an ionic compound?
18. What about the formula F2O tells you that it is a molecular compound?
19. What about the formula H2SO3 tells you that it is an acid?
20. Write the formulas for these compounds.
a. aluminum sulfide
b. tin (II) chloride
c. dihydrogen monoxide
d. magnesium oxide
e. hydroiodic acid
f. ammonium fluoride
g. nitrogen trioxide
h. iron (II) phosphate
i. sulfur hexafluoride
j. magnesium chloride
k. phosphoric acid
l. nitric acid
21. Name the following compounds.